Control Methods vs Legislation | Leopard




Control method -no permits required

Control method – permits required

Contact person

Cape Nature


All non-lethal methods.

Only for officials in terms of TOPS Ordinary Permit. (CapeNature manages DCA leopards in terms of TOPS and no permits are issued to landowners or professional hunters)

Contact nearest CapeNature office for assistance.



Cape Nature does not implement TOPS in the Western Cape, but they do have an Ordinary TOPS Permit for the management of DCA leopards. Only officials listed on the Ordinary Permit are allowed the manage leopards. No permits are issued to landowners or professional hunters, but the officials will assist the landowner should a leopard becomes a problem.

KZN Wildlife


Are categorised “Vulnerable” in TOPS
In terms of Ordinance, leopards are “Specially protected.

Contact your District Conservation Officer (DCO) who will advise and assist.  Only managed by officials or service provider appointed by Ezemvelo.

Ezemvelo has a Damage Causing Animal Standard Operating Procedure (SOP). DCA are managed in terms of this SOP. Your first port of call is your District Conservation Officer who will respond accordingly and provide advice. Management of DCA does not fall within the definition of hunting and are managed on a case-by-case basis in association with your DCO.

KZN Centralised permit application
Sharron Hughes (033) 8451968 /
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Permits are then sent to appropriate DCO to undertake the inspection

In the case of DCA, it is better to contact the DCO directly as generally permits are not required – and prompt action is. If this DCA is an emergency, the land owner can act immediately and contact his/her DCO thereafter (within 24hrs). The DCO will undertake the necessary field inspection and approve the permit post facto.

DETEA – Free State Province


None. Killing without permits only in case of self defence/ emergency, report to authorities within 48 hours followed by an investigation
to determine if killing was legal.


TOPS permit to landowner, only after investigation and identification by Dept. officials and for capturing by approved cage trap before lethal control will be considered.
Escape or operating from out of Protected Area, TOPS permit to officials with Standing Permit to capture with approved cage trap before lethal control will be considered.